The Secret Menus of Fast Food Restaurants:
Many fast food restaurants have long histories of secret menus. These menus are often reserved for regular customers who after months of devouring custom ordered food, finally have their unique orders accepted as part of a so-called secret menu. Over the years, these secret menus start becoming not-so-secret to the point where the customer, and the experienced fast food employee, are ready these special off the menu items.
On our latest GGTK podcast, we explore the world of fast food secret menus. Thanks for listening!
In N Out:
Easily the most famous of the secret menu fast food establishments. Much of In N Out’s fast food aura is owed to the fact that their normal menu is ridiculously simple. There are 5 items on every In N Out menu:
- French Fries
However the number of items on the secret menu at In N Out far outweigh the number of items on their regular menu. Here are some of their highlights:
– Animal style: lettuce, tomato, a mustard-cooked beef patty, pickles, extra spread (it’s sort of Thousand-Islandy) and grilled onions. You can even get your fries Animal Style.
– Protein Style is a burger wrapped in a lettuce leaf instead of a bun.
– Grilled Cheese
– And you can get just about any combo of meat and cheese that you want if you order it like you’re ordering lumber: 3×3 gets you three beef patties and three slices of cheese, 4×4 gets you four of each, and so on. It doesn’t stop there. Rumors of 100×100 have been spreading!
Check out the In N Out secret menu at: http://www.in-n-out.com/menu/not-so-secret-menu.aspx
There is no way Ronald would allow his gourmet restaurant to be outplayed by any in regards to the secret menu. Here is a short compilations of secret menu items that you can order at McDonalds:
– The All American: a plain hamburger with pickles and ketchup. Totally classic in every way. Make it an All American combo by adding small fries and a coke.
– “Land, Sea and Air:” beef patty, chicken patty, and Filet O’ Fish in one sandwich, with tartar sauce
– Monster Mac: 8 beef patties, cheese, special sauce, lettuce, pickles and onions. 220g of fat, 11,500 calories which equates to 3 days worth of fat for a grown man.
– McLeprichon – This shake is only available in March and is composed of the shamrock shake mixed with the chocolate shake making a mint chocolate shake.
– Pie McFlurry: Buy an apple pie and request for it be blended into your McFlurry
Chipotle: This fast food chain is home to the most legendary of secret menu items: the quesarito. Additionally, it might be the most accomodating in regards to creating your own secret menu.
– They have a store policy that says that if they have the item available, they will make it for you. This includes but is not limited to: nachos, quesadillas, taco salads, and single taco, even mini burritos made from soft taco shells.
– Quesarito: this is a quesedilla/burrito hybrid. They take a tortilla filled with melted cheese and then open it back up, stuff it full delicious buritto ingredients and roll it up just like a burrito. Except there is delicious melted cheese all over. The mythical quesarito is also reported to have over 1500 calories.
Read more about the Quesarito at: http://www.fastcodesign.com/1671981/the-mystery-behind-chipotles-secret-1500-calorie-super-burrito
And to round out your wholesome meal, check out some of these other renegade items from secret menus:
Order: The Grandslam
What is it? 4 patties stacked on a bun. Also known as the Meat Cube.
Restaurant: Taco Bell
Order: secret green chili sauce
What is it? A remnant of times past, this is a simple green chili sauce that will do wonders for your taste buds at this often bland restaurant.
Order: Chicken quesedilla
What is it? The restaurant combines it delicious chicken with tortillas from it’s wraps for a delicious concoction. Warning: be careful when messing with perfection at as fast food restaurant that is leaps and bounds above it’s competitors.
The most important thing that everyone needs to remember about ordering items off of a restaurant’s secret menu is that the items may be so secretive that the innocent teen behind the counter may not even know what you are talking about. The next most important thing is don’t give up. Enlighten the youngster in hopes that fast food junkies that follow in your footsteps will be able to indulge in some of the greatest and most creative foods every created. Happy eating!
Have you tried ordering off of a secret menu?!? Leave your experiences in the comments below. Thanks for listening!